Sunday, October 6, 2013

Beautiful Early Fall Weekend

I went to the North side of the Park this weekend.  It was a beautiful morning.  I started on the Lake Trail.



What a gorgeous view.  For my first mushroom sighting of the day, an Amanita from the Lepidella Section


This is a pretty white mushroom that really stands out in the woods.  It is found primarily in the Southeast and leaves white deposits on the ground as you can see here.  This is a poisonous mushroom.

My next find is another familiar mushroom to me.  I see it regularly on or near a dead oak tree on the Horseshoe trail near my house.  It is called Xerula Furfuracea.  It is in the genus Marismius.  This mushroom is the largest, brownest species of Xerula on the continent.  Members of the genus Xerula can be recognized by their tall and slender stature and their tough rooting stems.  They are saprobes that subsist on the wood of dead or dying tree roots of hardwoods.  Because it often grows right next to a giant decaying tree, it is hard to photograph since the shade of the tree blocks the light. This is an edible mushroom.



I got a better shot of one by taking it out into the light.  You can see the striations on the stem.


Next, I have been spotting a lot of these gem studded puffballs, called Lycoperdon Periatum.  It is a common puff ball, with short spiny bumps or "jewels." When mature, like these are, they turn brown and a hole in the top opens to release spores in a burst when the body is compressed by touch or raindrops.  This is an edible mushroom when the flesh is firm and white.


Here's a younger one that does not appear to have burst.


Next I found a pretty Bolete.  May be Bolete Badius.


After crossing the big bridge to the yellow trail, I found a bale of hay sitting there with these mushrooms growing out of it.

I think these are Coprinopsis Lagopus.  They only last a few hours before death.  The stem is whitish in color and hollow, hairy over the whole suface.  Once the gills turn black, as the spores mature, the gill edges dissolve into a black liquid. This is why they are called inky caps. You can see the gill edges turning up and turning black in the photo below.

and another,


I saw a huge dead log in the distance that I thought might have some interesting turkey tail polypore.  That wasn't the case but I found a beautiful Macrolepiota Procera.



I have only seen this one other time.  They are quite large and elegant with a fuzzy texture.  It is commonly known as the Parasol Mushroom.  It is a very sought after and popular fungus in Europe due to its large size and versatility in the kitchen. On Sunday, I found another, even prettier one, right after crossing over Nickson Creek.



I also found a snail on the log.



As I made my way along the yellow trail beside the creek I saw these Amanita Muscaria Var Guessowii.



Later in the day I went to the Oz Trail, through these pines.



and I found more of these mushrooms, the most large mushrooms I have ever seen in one place.  They were placed in fairy rings throughout the pines. (From Wikipedia -fairy ring, also known as fairy circleelf circleelf ring[1] or pixie ring, is a naturally occurring ring or arc of mushrooms. The rings may grow to over 10 metres (33 ft) in diameter, and they become stable over time as the fungus grows and seeks food underground. They are found mainly in forested areas, but also appear in grasslands or rangelands. Fairy rings are detectable by sporocarps in rings or arcs, as well as by a necrotic zone (dead grass), or a ring of dark green grass. A fungus, mycelium, is likely to be present in the ring or arc underneath.)

Some of the Muscaria I found











From Wikipedia -Although it is generally considered poisonous, there are few documented human deaths from its consumption, and after having been parboiled it is eaten as a food in parts of Europe, Asia, and North America. Amanita muscaria is noted for its hallucinogenic properties, with its main psychoactive constituent being the compound muscimol. The mushroom was used as an intoxicant and entheogen by the peoples of Siberia, and has a religious significance in these cultures. 

I ventured further down the yellow trail.  I wanted to get a shot of the front of the mill directly across the creek.  So I went as far as I physically could.  Evidently others have done the same, their was a ladder under a tarp placed strategically right across from the mill probably to get the best possible view.  By this time it was midday.  Not a great time for photos, but here's what I got.



As a reward for all my hard work I came across three huge clumps of the  Jack O Lantern Mushroom, Omphalotus Illudens.  Some times called the False Chanterelle, since it resembles it.  It is brighter orange, however, and unlike the Chanterelles it is poisonous.







Along that path I also found more amanita's these were pale yellow.  My best guess is that they are Amanita Albocreata. It is poisonous.



On Sunday- another beautiful day.

Here's a view from the Tributary side of the Park.


Found the prettiest Pink Russula or Lactarius. Most of these mushrooms are brightly colored.  The Lactarius exude a milky substance.  I didn't check this one.  It may be a Lactarius since it wasn't brittle like must Russula's are.


I finally got a picture of this yellow butterfly.  For some reason they were very busy today and very still and allowed me to get close enough to get a photo.  They have evaded me all summer.  They are extremely bright and hard to miss.


It is called Southern Dogface or Colias Cesonia.

Just a few feet away was this Garden Spider or Argiope Aurantia.


This is a first for me.  Although I have seen and felt (ick) plenty of spider webs;  I have never seen a large bold spider like this up close.

Lastly, the most exciting find for the past two days was this beautiful toothed mushroom.  I spotted it from a couple hundred yards away in the woods near the Horseshoe trail.  Not hard to miss, because these are huge white clumps on dead logs lying on the ground.


It is a Russula in the genus Hericium. Hericium Americanum.  It is used in cooking and medicine.  It has a cytotoxic effect on cancer cells.  It really resembles coral.

No comments:

Post a Comment